Skip to Content
4864201

Fort Cornwallis, Penang

Fort Cornwallis is an old star-shaped fort located on the northeastern coast of Penang, Malaysia. It is named after the late 18th century Governor-General of Bengal, India. Fort Cornwallis was built by Captain Sir Francis Light after taking possession of the island from the Sultan of Kedah in 1786. It was originally built with a nibong (Malay: palm trunk) stockade with no permanent structures, covering an area of 417.6 square feet.

Categories

Country