The Savannah Globe or World Globe Gas Storage Tank lies along 73rd Street between White Bluff Road and Abercorn Street (Georgia 204). This locally famous landmark originally resembled a standard globe with a world map adorned with “Savannah is here”. It was originally built as a natural gas storage tank in 1956-57 by the Savannah Gas Company and painted two years later to resemble a globe. Measuring 60 feet in diameter, the tank remained in operation until the 1970s and remained under the ownership of the Savannah Gas Company (later Atlanta Gas Company) until the early 1990s. Rusting and deteorating by the late 1990s, A to Z Coating & Sons purchased the structure and embarked on repainting the globe for the year 2000.2 The new paint job features simulated satellite photography complete with a hurricane bound for Savannah! By September of 2005 the globe was again sold to the Savannah Mortgage Co. at a cost of around $450,000.